National Smoothie Day in Utah
June 21 is National Smoothie Day and St. George has a TON of smoothie places to check out.
According to the National Day Calendar, there are a few ways to celebrate National Smoothie Day beside the most obvious.
- Try something new. Swap out one ingredient for another. You might find the best combination ever.
- Give a shout-out to your favorite smoothie bar. They will appreciate it!
- Share a photo of your beautiful smoothie!
- Pick up a smoothie recipe book.
To make your smoothies a little healthier, the NDC also has some recommendations:
- Limit your boosters – Ingredients like nut butters, seeds, grains and protein powders increase the fat and calories. While these ingredients add flavor and even nutrients, include them in small portions. You can also limit them to 1-2 per smoothie.
- Control portion size – Just like our regular meals, smoothies can become oversized. Monitor the portion size for your main ingredients so that when your smoothie is complete, the calories and fat add up to a balanced serving. For example, one cup of berries, half a cup of yogurt and a tablespoon of a nut butter shouldn’t put you over.
- Avoid juices – Prepared juices add calories. If you need a little more sweetness, consider adding a calorie-free sweetener or limiting the juice to just a splash.
- Add veggies – Spinach, beets, kale and zucchini are just a few of the veggies that add nutrients and fiber without adding a lot of calories. And these veggies don’t add any off-putting flavors.
- Add a little spice – Cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and turmeric add flavor without adding calories. They also provide us with other benefits as well. Cinnamon, for example, may help lower blood sugar and blood pressure.
Of course, supporting your favorite local smoothie stop is also a fantastic idea. My top 3 favorite smoothie places in town are Tropical Smoothie, Roxberry Juice, and The Orange Peel. There are some great health and energy-boosting smoothies as well as decadent chocolate-flavored smoothies.
If you’ve never tried a banana peanut butter chocolate smoothie you are TOTALLY missing out.
What’s your favorite place to curb your smoothie craving?
Simple Smoothie Recipe Tastes Exactly Like a Strawberry Milkshake